Remember those days of campbell mushroom soup? Uh-huh, I know what you’re thinking – they don’t bring back great memories. I love mushroom soup, but somehow the canned ones just don’t always make the mark.
That’s why I’m so incredibly excited to share this recipe with you! As I was sifting through the recipes that my mum sent me (she has so far sent me more than I could ever wish for), I found this favourite (I don’t suppose its as good as Soup Spoon’s but it’ll certainly beat canned soup hands down!)
MUSHROOM SOUP (Serves 10)
1) 200g of butter
2) 150g of brown onions, sliced or chopped (1 onion)
3) 30g garlic, chopped (2 cloves of garlic)
4) 500g of fresh button mushrooms
5) A pinch of nutmeg powder
6) A pinch of mixed herbs
7)200g of plain flour
8) 2.2litres of chicken stock
9) 500ml of milk
10) A pinch of black pepper & salt
1) Melt butter in a pot, and sauté onions and garlic
2) Add the fresh mushrooms, nutmeg powder, mixed herbs and flour to the onions and garlic
3) Add the chicken stock and milk to the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4) Blend the mixture in an electric blender.
5) Pour into pot and bring mixture to a boil
6) Add salt and pepper to taste
7) Serve warm with a sprinkle of chopped spring onion and a slice of toasted garlic bread
Fresh button mushrooms:
Fresh brown onions:
Mushroom soup for the soul: