FOR THE LOVE OF SALADS
Growing up at home, I spent much of my childhood hearing my mum tell me how much she loved salads.
And then on many occasions, I’ve watched her eat a whole bowl of salad greens with a relish unlike any I have ever seen – fresh, crispy greens with an unparalleled crunchiness in every bite.
Over the years, I’ve transitioned from having an immense dislike of salads to craving them now; some times I like them so much I eat salads as a main meal completely.
One of my favorite salads here in Argentina is a really simple combination of all the loveliest flavors, using the freshest of vegetables, straight from the market.
The spiciness of dark green arugula leaves intertwined with the tastes of the forest from sliced button mushrooms, then mixed with the sweet, juicy pulp of freshly cut tomatoes and crunchy rich wholesome walnuts.
On top of all these, add warm, toasted croutons just out of the oven.
Now imagine all these amazing ingredients tossed with salt, vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
This post is dedicated to all mothers out there, in celebration of Mother’s Day this Sunday, but especially dedicated to my mum, for her love of salads and because she’s a fantastic mother.
I love you mummy! Happy Mother’s Day!
ARUGULA, MUSHROOM, TOMATO & WALNUT SALAD
(Serves 4 as a side dish)
1) 2 bunches of arugula
2) 200g of fresh button mushrooms
3) 3 small tomatoes
4) 1 small handful of walnuts
5) 100ml of olive oil
6) 3-4 tablespoons of vinegar
7) Salt to taste
8) 4 slices of plain bread, cut into small cubes
1) Remove the roots of the arugula from the leaves, and wash them thoroughly
2) Wash mushrooms and slice them thinly
3) Wash and cut tomatoes into medium-sized pieces
4) Cut plain bread into small cubes, sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of oil over them, and toast them in oven at 180 deg cel for 5 minutes
4) In a bowl, arrange arugula leaves, mushroom slices, cut tomatoes, walnuts and croutons.
5) Sprinkle salt to taste over the salad, then condiment with vinegar and and olive oil
6) Mix well
Cut bread slices into small cubes and toast them slightly in the oven:
Arrange your salad: