These crispy air fryer zucchini fries make the perfect side dish, snack or appetizer, and are so good you’ll be begging for more! Crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, and bursting with flavor, you’ll want to keep this recipe handy to use up your zucchini, especially during the summer! Gluten-free and dairy-free too.
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into strips (approximately 3 to 4 inches long)
- Salt for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cooking spray, for spraying the air fryer basket
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing
- Cut the zucchini into strips approximately 6 to 7 inches in length.
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels and place the cut zucchini in a single layer on it. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini strips and let them sit for at least 20 minutes to get rid of excess water content. After 20 minutes, use dry paper towels to dab at the zucchini slightly and soak up the water that has been released.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, granulated garlic, dried parsley, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Mix well until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Place the egg in a small shallow bowl and beat it.
- Dip each zucchini stick in the egg, ensuring all sides are covered with egg. Next, coat the zucchini with the breadcrumb mixture and make sure all the surfaces are coated well. Repeat until all the zucchini has been breaded.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and preheat the air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes. Once the air fryer has been preheated, place the maximum number of zucchini sticks you can in one single layer and then brush the sticks with olive oil. Cook the zucchini fries for 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through and brushing the other side with more olive oil. Repeat until you finish cooking all the zucchini fries.
Do Not Stack The Fries: It’s important that you cook the fries one layer at a time so they have plenty of space to crisp all over. Depending on your air fryer, you may need to do them in more batches. Simply place the cooked fries aside, and once all the fries are done, reheat them in the air fryer for another 5 minutes until hot and crispy before serving.
How to Store/Freeze/Reheat: I like eating these fries right away, but if you wish to store them, place them in layers separated by parchment paper in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To freeze, place the fries in layers separated by parchment paper in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat the fries, make sure to thaw them for at least 2 hours if frozen, then heat them in the air fryer for 8 minutes, tossing them halfway through until crisp and hot.
Make The Zucchini Fries Egg-Free: If you want to make this completely egg-free, you can use 3 tablespoons of aquafaba (the water from soaking chickpeas), or even oil in place of the egg.
Baking These in the Oven: If you don’t own an air fryer, but would like to make these fries in the oven instead, place the fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer (making sure they do not touch), brush the tops of the fries with olive oil, and bake for 20 minutes, flipping them and then brushing the other side with more oil halfway through before continuing to cook.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer zucchini fries