I started my cooking journey with just one dish on my menu – Shah’s famous fried rice.
When I first launched this cooking site in May 2012, I wrote in the About Me section that I was hopeless in the kitchen and ventured no further than the familiar confines of cooking fried rice (Shah’s fried rice to be specific).
Now, I can see you wondering… Who is Shah? Is she a famous celebrity chef in Singapore or Asia? Well, not really. Shah was my domestic helper in Singapore and one of my favorite dishes was her chicken sausage fried rice. It was literally the only thing I knew how to cook (and dared to) when I first re-located from my home in Singapore to live in Argentina. Not only did I cook it so often because it was the only dish I could, this particularly style of fried rice always reminds me of home and its comforts, of my childhood and family warmth.
Close your eyes for a while and imagine this with me….
Fluffy grains of long white rice, tossed in a wok and mixed with other fresh ingredients, including eggs, chicken sausages, chopped onions and toasted garlic. Then drizzle the rice with soy sauce, and breathe in the aroma of the meal cooking before you, fragrant as a bright Spring afternoon.
This is a dish which never fails to indulge me in the feeling of comfort and familiarity, with its fragrance reminiscent of a busy Asian kitchen. It was also practically the only food I could cook for around 2 years, I’ll go as far as to say I have a Masters in Fried Rice (having practiced it diligently over and over again). Therefore, I insist on giving it the grand honor that it deserves. I had originally posted it in my first food post, but I’m now updating it with step-by-step pictures since we made it again for dinner last night.
And yes, in case you were wondering, yes it is really so delightfully easy, that anyone who wants to eat fried rice can cook it. If I can cook, so can you!!
CHICKEN SAUSAGE FRIED RICE (SERVES 4 – 6)
1) 6 espresso cups of uncooked long grain white rice (preferably Thai white rice)
2) 1 large onion
3) 3 -4 cloves of garlic
4) 1 sprig of spring onion (for decoration)
5) 6 chicken sausages
6) 5 eggs
7) Soy sauce & salt to taste
1) Cook the rice (however you do it, electric/microwave rice cooker, or in a pan) and leave to stand
2) Whip the eggs and make an omelette by frying beaten eggs in pan, then cut into small pieces (set aside)
3) Chop onions, garlic and slice chicken sausages
4) Stir fry chopped garlic and onions (chopped small enough to complement the rice grains)
5) Throw in the chicken franks (which should be cut into small pieces too) to the garlic and onions
6) Throw in the rice and stir to get a homogenous mix of rice and ingredients
7) Add soy sauce (bit by bit and taste to check that rice is salty enough)
8) Throw in the fried eggs pieces and sliced chicken sausages
9) Stir fry abit more, and then add chopped spring onions as garnishing.
I promised it was easy, and I delivered! Have a marvelous fried rice day!
Fresh eggs, onion and garlic cloves:
Sliced chicken sausages:
Make an omelette:
Cut omelette into small pieces:
Stir-fry chopped onions and garlic in wok until onions are transparent:
Add in cooked rice:
Add in soy sauce and stir well:
Add egg pieces to rice:
Add in sliced chicken sausages:
Delicious Chicken Sausage Fried Rice!