The best thing to come home to after a long day’s work on a cold winter night, is a large bowl of piping hot soup made out of fresh vegetables. That’s precisely what we had as a starter for last night’s dinner, and it was so beautifully delicious.
Let me tell you why. It was a soup made from scratch, with vegetables fresh from the market, chopped up and sauteed in their own juices and then let to simmer as it cooked. It was spilling with vitamins, original flavors and homemade goodness.
Ahh, heaven on earth, brimming in a large metal pot over the stove.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS (Serves 6)
1) 1 bunch of asparagus
2) 1 bunch of celery
3) 1 large potato
4) 1 onion
5) 2 cloves of garlic
6) 800ml of beef stock (I used Knorr’s beef stock in cubes)
1) Cut asparagus, celery, potato, onions into small cubes/sticks (Onions should be diced really well).
2) Chop garlic very finely
3) In a wok, stir fry garlic, onions and celery until onions turn transparent
4) Add in potatoes and asparagus and stir fry for 5 minutes
5) Add in beef stock and allow to simmer for 30 minutes on low fire
6) Puree the vegetables with the beef stock in a juice mixer or food processor
7) Transfer cream of asparagus to a pot and heat over low fire, stirring well
8) Serve piping hot with freshly grated cheese
Cut celery into small sticks:
Fresh onion and garlic cloves:
Cut asparagus into small sticks:
Stir-fry garlic, onions and celery in a wok:
Until onions turn transparent:
Add in potatoes:
Add in asparagus:
Add in beef stock:
Allow to simmer for 30 minutes:
Transfer vegetables and beef stock into a fruit juice blender:
Transfer pureed cream of asparagus into a pot to be heated on low fire:
Piping hot Cream of Asparagus: