These crispy air fryer french fries are so delicious you won’t ever want to deep fry potatoes again. The air fryer uses a lot less oil, but produces the same delicious results that we love. Here are tips on how to cook fresh or frozen fries in the air fryer, so you can eat them to your heart’s content! Perfect as snacks, appetizers or a side dish. Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
- Preheat: Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Peel and Cut Potatoes: Peel the potatoes before cutting them into evenly thin strips.
- Toss in Oil: Toss the cut potatoes evenly with oil in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer Fries to Air Fryer Basket:Transfer the oil-coated potatoes to the air fryer basket place them in a single layer (or two layers at the maximum).
- Cook Until Golden Brown: Cook the fries for 15 minutes, tossing the fries every 5 minutes to ensure they cook evenly and crisp up on all sides.
- Serve and Enjoy! Salt the french fries before serving with our homemade sriracha or 5-minute garlic aioli.
Potatoes: I used Yukon gold potatoes in this case, but you can also use russet potatoes or other types of potatoes if you prefer.
Oil: I like using sunflower oil because I always have a bottle of it around. Alternatively, you may use another vegetable oil of your choice, such as olive oil or avocado oil.
Skin On or Off? Whether you leave the potato skin on or off is a matter of personal preference. I like peeling the potatoes when cooking french fries, and prefer leaving the skin on when making potato wedges. Either way, the fries are going to taste delicious!
Frozen french fries: If you’re using frozen french fries, simply follow the instructions but cook the fries for 25 minutes instead. Toss the fries every 5 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown all over.
Don’t Overcrowd Your Basket: It’s super important that you don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket. A rule of thumb that I use is to leave it at 1/3 full, so that the fries have plenty of room to cook and crisp up all over. My air fryer is 3-quart in capacity and this recipe works perfect for one batch, if you have a bigger air fryer, you can cook more potatoes at one shot.
Cooking in Batches: If you plan on making more than one batch of these fries, simply place the cooked fries one side as you cook the rest. Just before serving or eating, return the fries to the air fries and let them crisp up and warm up again for 2 minutes at 400F.
Optional Seasonings: If you would like to season these fries, just make sure to toss the fries in the seasoning along with the oil before air frying them. Some seasoning options would be ground paprika, ground black pepper, ground cayenne powder, chili powder or even garlic powder or onion powder. Have fun and play around with the seasonings according to your personal preferences!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer french fries, air fryer fries