Sweet, rich, and delicious, this easy apricot jam recipe is made with just 3 simple ingredients and is ready in under an hour! Perfect for spreading on toast for breakfast, spooning over homemade yogurt, or even eating it by the spoonful, this homemade apricot jam is totally gluten-free, vegan, and pectin-free. Learn how to make apricot jam at home today!
- 2 pounds fresh apricots
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash, Dry and Cut the Apricots: Wash and then dry the apricots. Slice the apricots into halves to remove the stones before cutting them into smaller pieces.
- Combine Ingredients in Pot: Combine diced apricots, sugar and lemon juice in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, Stir and Mash: Reduce heat to low and let ingredients simmer for the next 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing the fruit as it cooks.
- Let Cool and Transfer to Jars: Once the fruit reaches a thick jam-like consistency, switch off the heat. Let the apricot jam stand for at least 10 minutes in the pot before spooning the jam into sterilized glass jars and covering.
Apricots: Since this is an apricot jam recipe, apricots are the star. However, feel free to use other stone fruits such as plums or peaches in equal quantities as you prefer.
Sugar: I used granulated white sugar, but you can also use light brown sugar if you prefer. I do not recommend omitting the sugar it not only sweetens the recipe, but also plays a crucial role in binding the pectins and acids from the fruit to create the jam gel structure. Sugar also acts as a preservative and prevents mold from growing.
Lemon Juice: I highly recommend using fresh lemon juice for the best flavor, but if you only have bottled lemon juice, that will work too. Don’t skip adding lemon juice because the acidity of the lemon juice helps to set the jam and prevents it from becoming runny.
Use Sterilized Glass Jars: Make sure to sterilize your glass jars before storing your jam to prevent any bacteria or mold from growing (which will cause the jam to spoil).
Storing: Store the jam in jars for up to a year in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Once opened, store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
This recipe was originally published in Nov 2016 but has since been republished to include clearer instructions, ingredients notes, and process shots.
- Category: Jam
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apricot jam recipe, easy apricot jam