This amazingly easy gluten-free cornbread stuffing (aka cornbread dressing) is made with our favorite cornbread, fresh vegetables, and herbs for incredible flavor and taste. Use this for stuffing your turkey or serve as a side dish on Thanksgiving and during the holidays! It’s also dairy-free, and vegetarian but no one would know!
- 1 8×8 inch pan gluten-free cornbread, cubed and dried overnight or in the oven (see recipe notes below on how to dry cornbread)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (approximately 2 cups diced)
- 1 rib celery, diced (approximately 2 cups diced)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (approximately 1 tablespoon minced)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped + more for garnishing
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 350F and place the rack to the middle section.
- Sauté the Veggies: Heat up the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the diced onions, diced celery, and minced garlic until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally with a spatula (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add Herbs and Broth: Add the dried rosemary, thyme, oregano, fresh parsley, and vegetable broth. Bring heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toss Cornbread and Broth Mixture: Place dried cornbread in a large bowl. Ladle the broth mixture a bit at a time over the cubed cornbread, mixing as you go along so the liquid is distributed and absorbed all over (you don’t want to add too much broth or it will become too mushy and the stuffing will become dense). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to Baking Dish and Bake: Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
How to Dry Cornbread: Make sure you dry your cornbread before making the stuffing as you need it to absorb the liquid broth. Cut the cornbread into cubes and then spread out the cubes on a large baking pan. Let it air for 1 or 2 days if you have time. If you’re in a rush, place the baking pan in the oven and let the cornbread bake for 250F for 40 minutes, tossing them every 10 minutes to ensure they dry out evenly.
Cornbread: I use our favorite recipe for gluten-free skillet cornbread to make this cornbread stuffing. However, if you aren’t keen on cornbread, or don’t want to bake cornbread for this, you can also use gluten-free bread or normal bread if you’re not Celiac or have allergies to gluten. Simply cut the bread into cubes and dry it out using the method mentioned above.
Sunflower Oil: I like to use sunflower oil because I always have a bottle on hand, but you can use any neutral vegetable oil. Alternatively, if you are not lactose-intolerant, feel free to use butter in equal quantities instead.
Vegetable Broth: I prefer using unsalted vegetable broth and then adding salt and pepper to taste later on. This way I can control how salty the stuffing is. You can either make your own vegetable broth, or buy pre-made vegetable broth. Alternatively, you can also use mushroom broth, chicken stock or broth, or beef broth if you prefer.
Herbs: I always have dried herbs on hand and they impart a beautiful flavor to this stuffing recipe. You can change up the proportions of the herbs as you wish, if you prefer one herb more than the others.
Make Ahead of Time: You can also make this cornbread dressing ahead of time. Once cooked and cooled, cover the entire baking dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Before serving, heat it up in the oven at 325F, uncovered, for 15 minutes to warm it up.
Freezing: You can place the ingredients all mixed together but uncooked in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, transfer ingredients to a baking dish and bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes until top is golden brown. Alternatively, you can cook the stuffing and let it cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container and freezing for up to 3 months. To reheat the stuffing, heat it up in the oven at 325F for 20 minutes, covered, before serving.
Adapted From: Tastes Better from Scratch
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free cornbread stuffing