This is a simple but extremely delicious dish – thin rice noodles in clear chicken broth, topped with shredded chicken, mint, cilantro and spring onions.
- 1 litre of reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 small piece of ginger, peeled and halved
- 3 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 pound of Vietnamese rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup of fresh spring onions + lime wedges, for garnish
- Combine chicken stock, water, ginger, soy sauce and fish sauce in a large pot over high heat, then cover and bring to a boil.
- Bring heat down to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- While stock mixture is simmering, place rice noodles in a heat proof bowl and cover it with boiling water.
- Let noodles stand for at least five minutes or until they are tender, then separate noodles with a fork and drain well.
- Remove ginger from the stock mixture, then stir in the fresh lime juice and allow to simmer one more minute.
- Divide noodles equally between two bowls.
- Pour stock mixture over the noodles, top with shredded chicken breast and then garnish with mint, coriander and spring onions. Serve with lime wedges.
Barely adapted from: Taste
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vietnamese