This spicy salsa fresca recipe (also known as pico de gallo) is fresh and delightfully spicy, and goes fantastic with corn tortilla chips. It’s the perfect appetizer for your Cinco de Mayo party, or simply when you have a gathering with family and friends. Totally gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan too!
- 1/4 cup diced onions (1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (about 1 large tomato)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 large garlic cloves)
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeños (2 small jalapeños)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (juice of 1 large lime)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Corn tortilla chips, to accompany dip
- Combine Ingredients: Combine diced onions, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeños, chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt.
- Mix Well: Mix the ingredients well until they are evenly distributed
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve pico de gallo with corn tortilla chips
Onion: I used a yellow onion, but you can also use a white onion or red onion if you prefer.
Tomatoes: Feel free to use whichever ripe tomatoes you have on hand (cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, etc).
Garlic: I love the taste of garlic, so I added 2 whole garlic cloves. However, if you prefer a less garlicky taste, you can use just one clove instead.
Jalapeños: I love the kick of heat that comes from the chopped jalapeños, but if you prefer your salsa fresca to be less spicy, you can use just one single jalapeño instead of two.
Cilantro: The flavor of chopped cilantro goes beautifully with the other ingredients, so I highly recommend that you add it in (unless you don’t enjoy the taste of cilantro).
Lime: Fresh lime juice is a key ingredient in this spicy salsa fresca recipe. Alternatively, you may replace it with lemon juice if that’s what you have.
Olive Oil: I like using extra virgin olive oil for its flavor. Alternatively, you may also use other types of vegetable oils if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: salsa fresca recipe