Crispy roasted artichokes with a hint of citrus lemon. So good. Soooo goood!
- 3 large artichokes
- 1 large lemons, for the zest and the juice
- 2/3 cups of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. Fahrenheit (180 deg. Celsius)
- Fill a large bowl with water and slice the lemon in half, squeezing the juice into the bowl. Throw the squeezed lemon slices into the bowl as well.
- Working on one artichoke each time, use your fingers to pull off the darker, tougher outer leaves until you reach the tender leaves.
- Use a sharp knife to trim the top of the artichoke leaves and to cut the stem. Slice the artichoke in half vertically and remove all the furry artichoke bits in the middle as well as any sharp baby leaves.
- Rub all the cut parts with lemon and then place the artichoke halves in the bowl with the lemon water (this is important so the artichokes don’t oxidize!)
- In a large baking sheet, pour the olive oil and distribute the artichoke halves evenly. Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice over the artichokes and sprinkle them with lemon zest, salt and pepper before placing garlic slices around.
- Roast artichokes for 30 minutes, flipping them to the other side halfway through.
- Meanwhile heat up a little olive oil in a skillet and fry the breadcrumbs until golden.
- Sprinkle roasted artichokes with fried breadcrumbs before serving.
Recipe barely adapted from: Foodie Crush
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian