In just 25 minutes, you get a side dish that’s full of flavor – the citrus lemon balances out the natural bitterness of brussels sprouts, all rounded up with grated parmesan cheese that makes this healthy dish feel just a little more luxurious. Naturally gluten-free too, this is recipe for shaved Brussels sprouts is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas or anytime during the holidays.
- 20 oz. whole brussels sprouts (approximately 6 cups whole, or 8 cups shaved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shave/Shred: Remove any tough outer layers of the Brussels sprouts and then use a sharp knife to cut the sprouts into halves lengthwise. Place the halves cut-side-down and slice thinly to shred the sprouts.
- Sauté: In a large pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the brussels sprouts over medium-high heat until they are slightly soft but still bright green in color.
- Flavor and Garnish: Squeeze in lemon juice and mix well before sprinkling grated parmesan cheese over. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Brussels Sprouts: You can either buy the sprouts pre-shaved at the supermarket, or shave them yourselves (as I show you how in the instructions).
Olive Oil: I like using extra virgin olive oil because there are so few ingredients in this dish that I want each flavor to stand out. However, feel free to use any vegetable oil you prefer.
Lemon Juice: I prefer to use fresh lemon juice since I almost always have fresh lemons on hand. However, if you only have bottled lemon juice, that will work too.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shaved brussels sprouts, sauteed brussels sprouts