Unbelievably crispy and flavorful, these easy air fryer chickpeas can be made in just 20 minutes using canned chickpeas (no need to peel the skins)! These addictively crunchy chickpeas are perfect for adding texture to salads, topping your favorite soups, or a healthy protein-rich snack! Naturally gluten-free and vegan, you’ll want to have this recipe on hand at all times!
- Preheat: Preheat the air fryer to 390F (200C).
- Drain and Rinse: Drain and rinse the chickpeas (no drying required).
- Condiment the Chickpeas: Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, salt and paprika.
- Cook until Crispy: Transfer chickpeas to the air fryer basket, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes (shaking the basket every 5 minutes) until chickpeas are crispy enough for your liking.
- Add Salt to Taste: Remove from the air fryer once ready, then taste and add more salt as desired.
Chickpeas: I used canned chickpeas here for convenience, but feel free to cook your own chickpeas from scratch if you prefer!
Salt: I like using finely ground pink Himalayan salt, but go ahead and use any salt that you have or prefer.
Paprika: Ground paprika gives the chickpeas a bit of heat and color, but you can also use other spices such as turmeric, garlic powder or onion powder instead. You can also add a tinge of sweetness to the chickpeas by adding cinnamon or pumpkin spice if you prefer!
No Air Fryer? Roast the chickpeas in the oven: If you don’t own an air fryer, no worries! You can also roast the chickpeas in the oven; it will just take a little more time and effort. Make sure to dry the chickpeas with paper towels first, and remove any loose skins. Next, spread the dried chickpeas out on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast them at 425F (210C) for 20 to 30 minutes, until crispy enough for your liking.
Storing: To store the chickpeas, place them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from: Sweet Peas and Saffron
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer chickpeas, chickpea recipe