- 2 green plantains, peeled and sliced into thin 1/4″ thick slices.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Salt, if desired
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Coat Plantains with Oil: Toss the plantain slices with the oil in a large bowl until plantains are all coated.
- Place Plantain Slices in Single Layer: Place the oiled plantain slices in a single layer in your air fryer basket (you may need to cook the plantains in a few batches depending on the size of your air fryer).
- Cook on One Side: Cook for 7 minutes, before flipping over.
- Cook on the Other Side: Continue to cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until crispy.
- Repeat Until All Used Up: Repeat until all the plantains are cooked.
- Serve and Enjoy: Sprinkle some salt over the air fryer plantains and serve the plantain chips with guacamole, hummus, or any other dip you enjoy!
Green Plantains: Green plantains have a more neutral taste, as compared to ripe yellow plantains which are sweeter in flavor profile. Since we are going for a savory snack here, green plantains would be the best.
How to Peel a Plantain: Plantains have thicker skins than bananas, so you won’t be able to peel them like you would a normal banana. To peel a plantain, use a sharp knife to cut off both ends, before slitting the peel three times along the length of the plantain (only cut as deep as the thickness of the peel). Peel off the skin a third at a time.
Reheat Plantain Chips: If your air fryer basket is small and you need to cook the plantains in a few batches, simply reheat the plantain chips in the air fryer for a few minutes to crisp them up again.
Add Seasonings: I usually only sprinkle salt over these air fryer plantain chips, but feel free to sprinkle other seasonings such as paprika, turmeric, pepper, or whatever else you prefer!
This recipe was originally published in 2015, but has since been updated to include step-by-step photos, clearer instructions, better images, as well as recipes tips.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Carribean
Keywords: air fryer plantains