- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, for sprinkling (optional)
- Rinse and cut off the stems of the Brussels sprouts, before cutting them into halves from top to bottom.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts halves together with the olive oil, ground black pepper and salt until the sprouts are coated all over.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375F, and then transfer the oil-coated sprouts to the air fryer basket, making sure the basket isn’t more than 1/3 full (this will ensure that the sprouts have enough space to cook and crisp up all over. If necessary, depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook the sprouts in 2 batches.)
- Cook the sprouts for 18 to 20 minutes, tossing halfway through, until they are tender on the inside and golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Transfer the cooked sprouts to a plate, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
Nutritional Yeast: If you are not lactose-intolerant, you can replace the nutritional yeast for equal quantities of grated parmesan cheese.
Do Not Overcrowd: A rule of thumb that I generally follow is to ensure that my air fryer basket is never more than 1/3 full, so that the food has plenty of space to cook evenly and crisp up well. I find that if the basket is overcrowded, the food often turns out soggy and doesn’t become crispy.
Optional Toppings/Dressings: I personally like a fresh squeeze of citric lemon juice over my Brussels sprouts as I find it contrasts nicely with the slightly bitter taste of the sprouts. I also like sprinkling some nutritional yeast (or grated Parmesan cheese if you eat dairy). For a slightly stronger dressing, add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar over your sprouts.
Roasting Brussels Sprouts in the Oven: If you don’t own an air fryer, you can simply roast the sprouts in the oven too, although it will take twice as long. Simple spread out the marinated Brussels sprouts halves on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for 40 minutes, tossing them halfway through until they are tender inside, and golden brown and crispy outside.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer Brussels sprouts