This delicious cranberry pie is filled with crunchy walnuts and fresh cranberries. The sweetness of the filling is balanced out by the tartness of the cranberries, and whether you use a store-bought pie crust or make your own, this makes an easy and delicious dessert that’s perfect for the holidays. Also gluten-free and dairy-free, but hey, no one would know!
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 425F (210C)
- Prick holes in unbaked crust: Use a fork to prick holes onto the base of the pie crust
- Par-bake Pie Crust: Bake pie crust for 15 minutes or until rims are golden brown
- Prepare Filling: Meanwhile, mix eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and salt together until you get a homogeneous mixture. Add in fresh cranberries and chopped walnuts and stir until evenly distributed
- Assemble Pie: Reduce oven temperature to 350F (175C). Pour the filling mixture into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Bake: Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is set
- Let Cool and Enjoy: Allow tart to fully cool before slicing and enjoying!
Pie Crust: You can either use a storebought pie crust, or make my perfect gluten-free pie crust (also dairy-free).
Brown Sugar: I used brown sugar here, but feel free to use normal white sugar or light brown sugar too if you prefer. If you are diabetic or insulin-resistant, I highly recommend that you use Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener (a 1:1 substitute for normal sugar).
Maple Syrup: I used maple syrup in this cranberry pie recipe, but feel free to use honey or agave nectar in equal quantities if you prefer.
Coconut Oil: I prefer to use refined coconut oil in my baking as it has a more neutral taste (as opposed to extra virgin coconut oil that has a stronger coconut flavor and smell). You can also use palm shortening or vegan butter in equal quantities if you want. Alternatively, if you are not lactose-intolerant, feel free to use normal butter instead.
Cranberries: I used fresh cranberries but if you don’t have the fresh version available, feel free to rehydrate 1 cup of unsweetened dried cranberries in hot water for at least 20 minutes (or cover dried cranberries with water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute and then let stand for 5 minutes).
Walnuts: I used walnuts because I like the combination of walnuts and cranberries, but you can also use other chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, or cashews.
Barely adapted from: Epicurious
This recipe was originally posted in November 2015, but I’ve updated it with clearer instructions and made it dairy-free since.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cranberry pie