Crispy shortbread cookies that are filled with citric lemon flavor. These cookies are not only easy to make, but they are also gluten-free and vegan!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. Fahrenheit (180 deg. Celsius) and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Prepare a rolling area with a two additional sheets of parchment paper or silpat
- Place softened coconut oil in a large bowl and whip it until it becomes creamy. Add in maple syrup, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and salt, and then mix to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, corn starch, xantham gum and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you get a homogeneous dough. The dough should not be too sticky, but should press together when pinched. If dough is too dry, add a little bit more of liquid sweetener; if dough is too wet, add a bit more of rice flour, until you get the right texture.
- Transfer the dough onto the working area and knead it very well. Roll the dough out to 0.5-inch (1cm) thickness between the two sheets of parchment paper, then cut into small rectangles. Place rectangles of dough onto the prepared baking sheet and use a fork to poke three lines of holes in each rectangle.
- Bake 12 t0 14 minutes, until cookies are slightly golden. Cookies will harden as they cool. Allow cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
Adapted from: Unconventional Baker
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Vegan