This five-ingredient grain-free pistachio bread is surprisingly foolproof to make, it rises beautifully, slices as easily and tastes so heartwarming.
- 2 cups of almonds
- 1 1/2 cups of pistachios, without the shells
- 3/4 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup honey, and remove 1 egg)
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 320 deg Fahrenheit (160 deg Cel)
- Grease a loaf pan, and line it with baking paper
- Begin by processing the almonds until it has the texture of sand. Sift the almond meal through a sieve, and return the larger bits to the processor. Pulse until the almond meal passes completely through the sieve.
- Do the same for the pistachios.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond meal and ground pistachios together with the sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the eggs and the egg whites, and stir the mixture until you get a homogeneous batter
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and gently smooth the top surface with a spatula
- Bake in pre-heated oven for around 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.
- Serve with a light dusting of icing sugar (optional)
Barely adapted from CookRepublic (http://www.cookrepublic.com/recipe-archive/flourless-pistachio-cake-a-birthday-and-win-signed-copies-of-my-cookbook/)
- Cuisine: Grain-free