A super easy pear galette that is delicious, comes together very simply, and if you use a pre-made pastry crust, requires literally just 4 ingredients! It’s also gluten-free and dairy-free, which makes it the perfect dessert for anytime, but especially during pear season!
Take Advantage of Pear Season
I first saw these gorgeous red pears the other day in the market, sitting all beautiful and splendid in their red-hued glory. And then it dawned on me that finally it’s pear season (which is during the fall and winter months) and it’s time to take advantage of this time of the year, so I bought a bag full of these pears.
I would make a simple and rustic pear galette with a store-bought pastry crust that I had in my freezer. The pears were already so pretty, they didn’t need a complicated recipe for their beauty to shine through, and a galette was the perfect way to do that.
What is a Galette?
If you’ve never eaten or made a galette before, get ready for your life to be changed! A galette is a term used in French cuisine (pronounced as “guh-let”) that refers to a flat and round pastry-wrapped fruit-filled dessert, and is often free form. I personally like to think of it as the easier version of a pie, because it doesn’t have to be perfect. In fact, the more “imperfect” a galette looks, the more rustic and beautiful it is in my opinion!
While a pie requires a pie pan or mold to help it maintain it’s shape during baking, a galette doesn’t require any special equipment at all! All you need is parchment paper or a silpat for baking – and anything that isn’t complicated is always a win in my book!
Why This Recipe Works
This delicious pear galette is one of those recipes that you can easily throw together and it will always come out right! If you’ve got pears waiting to be eaten, and aren’t sure what to make with them, I guarantee you that this is one recipe you’ll be making over and over again.
And if you still have extra pears after making this galette, I highly recommend that you make this easy pear custard pie (gluten-free, dairy-free) next!
You’ll literally need just 4 ingredients (pastry crust included!):
- Pastry Crust – For simplicity’s sake, I’ve used a pre-made 9 inch crust that’s gluten-free and dairy-free. However, you can also use a homemade crust of your choice.
- Pears – I used red pears (also known as Anjou pears), but you can literally use any firm pear of your choice. Firmer pears (such as Bosc pears or Anjou pears) will be able to withstand heat better and hold together well, since the point of the galette is to show off how beautiful the pears look. If you want to make these when pears are not in season, you can also use use apples, peaches, nectarines or even berries instead.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: I like using fresh lemon juice to add a bit of tartness to the pears, which are already naturally sweet.
- Egg yolk: I like brushing the egg yolk on the exposed parts of the pastry crust so it turns golden brown and crispy. However, you can also brush coconut oil or other vegetable oil if you want this to be completely vegan.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat Oven & Line Baking Sheet
As always, you’ll want to preheat your oven before baking so that when the pear galette is ready to be baked, the oven is already at the right temperature. In this case, preheat the oven to 350F (180C), and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper, then place the pastry crust (either pre-made storebought or homemade) on the prepared baking sheet.
2. Slice the Pears
Core and cut the red pears into thin, even slices and then mix them with a little bit of lemon juice in a bowl.
3. Arrange the Pear Slices
Place the pear slices in the middles of the pastry crust, leaving around three inches of crust between the filling and the edges.
4. Fold in the Crust and Brush
Now gently fold the uncooked crust dough onto itself to create the pear galette – you honestly don’t have to worry about making it look perfect. In my opinion, the more rustic and imperfect the crust looks, the better!
Once you’ve folded before brushing the exposed tart crust all over with egg yolk. As I mentioned above, this egg wash helps to make the crust turn golden brown and crisp up better.
5. Bake and Cool
All that’s left to do is to bake the pear galette for 40 minutes at 350F (180C), until the crust has turned golden brown and then allow it to cool slightly before slicing and eating!
Pear Galette FAQs
Firmer pears will be able to withstand heat better and hold together well, since the point of the galette is to show off how beautiful the pears look. Examples of firm pears are Bosc pears (brown pears) or Anjou pears (red pears).
Yes of course! If you want to make these when pears are not in season, you can also use use apples, peaches, nectarines or even berries instead.
I used a store-bought gluten-free crust, but feel free to use your favorite pastry crust recipe of choice if you prefer!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll also enjoy these other desserts:
- Pear Custard Pie (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Mini Mixed Berry Galettes (Gluten-Free)
- Grain-Free Strawberry Almond Galette
- Easy Gluten-Free Waffles (Dairy-Free)
- Microwave Lemon Curd (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Lemon Cheesecake (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Cranberry Bread Pudding (Gluten-Free)
- Cranberry Walnut Tart (Gluten-Free)
- Gluten-Free Mixed Berry Crisp
P.S. If you try this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a star rating below, and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. I always appreciate your feedback. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram! Sign up for my Email List to get fresh recipes in your inbox each week!Print
A super easy pear galette that is delicious, comes together very simply, and if you use a pre-made crust, requires literally just 4 ingredients! It’s also gluten-free and dairy-free, which makes it the perfect dessert for anytime, but especially during pear season!
- 1 large 9″ gluten-free round store-bought pastry crust (or you can make your own if you prefer)
- 2 large red pears, cored and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C) and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Core and slice the pears evenly.
- Transfer the pear slices to a bowl and mix well with lemon juice.
- Place the uncooked pastry crust on the prepared baking sheet, then arrange the pear slices in the middle of the tart crust, leaving about 3 inches of tart crust between the filling and the edges
- Gently fold in the edges of the pastry crust to create the galette.
- Use a brush to brush the parts of the exposed crust with the egg yolk.
- Bake red pear galette for 40 minutes, until tart crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
What Sort of Pears to Use: I recommend using firmer pears (such as Bosc pears or Anjou pears) that can within heat better and hold their shape even after baking.
Substituting Pears with Other Fruits: If you want to make this galette but don’t have pears, you can also substitute the pears with other fruits such as apples, peaches, nectarines, or even berries in equal quantities.
What Sort of Crust to Use: I used a store-bought 9″ gluten-free pastry crust for convenience sake, but feel free to use your favorite tart crust!
Egg Yolk Wash: I like brushing the exposed parts of the crust with egg yolk as it gives it a nice shine and helps the crust turn golden brown and crisp up better. However, if you want to keep this recipe completely vegan or egg-free, simply swap out the egg yolk with vegetable oil of your choice.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pear galette