This easy flaxseed bread is soft and tender with a deliciously moist crumb. Just slightly sweet with the perfect hint of cinnamon, this quick bread is perfect for an easy breakfast or snack whenever you’re hungry. Totally gluten-free, dairy-free and yeast-free too, but no one would care! Bake a loaf or two and enjoy homemade bread anytime!
- Preheat and Grease: Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8″ x 4″ metal loaf pan.
- Beat Oil and Sugar: In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar until combined.
- Add Eggs and Milk: Add the eggs and milk and whisk to get a pale yellow liquid mixture.
- Whisk Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk the gluten-free all-purpose flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon to combine.
- Add Dry Ingredients to Wet Ingredients: Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well to get a homogeneous batter (the batter will be rather liquid).
- Transfer Batter to Pan: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake Until Golden Brown: Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until the loaf is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool Completely Before Slicing: Allow the loaf to cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan before removing it and then cooling it completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Sunflower Oil: I like to use sunflower oil because I always have a bottle of sunflower oil on hand. You can also substitute it with any neutral-flavored oil in equal quantities. Alternatively, if you are not lactose-intolerant, you may also use melted butter or ghee in equal quantities.
Sugar: I used white granulated sugar, but you may use brown sugar or coconut sugar instead. If you are diabetic or insulin-resistant, I highly recommend using Lakanto monkfruit sweetener (a 1:1 substitute for white sugar that has zero glycemic-index).
Eggs: In this recipe, eggs provide structure and binds the ingredients together, as well as helps the loaf to rise better. If you rather not use egg yolks, you may replace the 4 whole eggs with 8 egg whites instead. I have not tried out this recipe without eggs, but if you do use aquafaba or an egg-replacer, I would love to hear how it goes in the comments!
Almond Milk: I used my 5-minute homemade almond milk, but you may also use other non-dairy milks such as cashew milk, rice milk, soy milk, sunflower seed milk, or coconut milk. Alternatively, if you are not lactose-intolerant, feel free to use normal dairy milk instead.
Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour: I recommend using a good-quality gluten-free all-purpose flour blend that is made up of lighter flours/starches (such as rice flour, corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch) to get a light and fluffy texture. I do NOT recommend using flour blends with heavier flours (such as garbanzo bean flour) as that will result in a denser texture.
Flaxseed Meal: I recommend grinding your own flaxseed meal from whole flax seeds for optimal freshness. You can use either golden or brown flaxseed meal (golden flaxseed meal is lighter in color and has a more neutral taste, while brown flaxseed meal is darker in color and has a nuttier flavor).
Baking Powder: Since this recipe doesn’t use yeast, baking powder is required for rising. If you are Celiac or gluten intolerant, make sure to use certified gluten-free baking powder.
Cinnamon: I like adding ground cinnamon for extra flavor and taste, but if you prefer not to add it, you can leave it out.
Metal Loaf Pan: I highly recommend using a metal loaf pan for even browning on all sides. I do NOT recommend using a glass pan as the bottom and sides will not brown well.
Storing/Freezing: To store, place the cooled loaf in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To freeze, place the cooled flaxseed bread in a freezer-safe container or several layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the loaf to thaw completely overnight in the refrigerator before slicing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: flaxseed bread, flax bread