This super creamy pumpkin soup is deliciously flavorful and makes the perfect appetizer or light meal on colder days. Make a big pot with just 7 ingredients in only 45 minutes! You’ll definitely want to make this on repeat. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan too.
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 yellow onion (roughly 1 cup diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (roughly 2 tablespoons minced)
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnishing
- Combine pumpkin puree, almond milk, water, diced onions, minced garlic, and chopped spring onions in a large pot and bring to a boil, before lowering heat and allowing the ingredients to simmer for the next 30 minutes.
- Allow the ingredients to cool for a few minutes before transferring everything to your high-speed blender.
- Process the ingredients for 20 seconds until you get a thick, smooth and homogeneous soup, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend for a few seconds more.
- Pour soup back into the pot and then heat up before serving garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Fresh or Canned Pumpkin Puree: I personally prefer using my recipe for homemade pumpkin puree (as it’s free of any additives or preservatives that the canned version tends to come with), however canned pumpkin will work just fine too.
Pumpkin Alternatives: If you would like to make this soup without pumpkin puree, feel free to use sweet potato puree, butternut squash puree, or even carrot puree in the same quantities.
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: I love sprinkling a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds over the pumpkin soup before eating or serving because the crunchy pumpkin seeds give the soup a nice pop of color and contrast in texture.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin soup