Quinoa and minced beef stuffed bell peppers – a mixture of quinoa, minced beef, carrots and heirloom tomatoes stuffed into warm bell pepper shells. A colorful, vibrant dish that’s filling and full of taste at the same time.
When I first uprooted myself from Singapore and moved to Buenos Aires five years ago, one of the hardest things to get used to was not having my close friends and family with me.
Coupled with the fact that I couldn’t speak Spanish properly until I had lived in the Argentine capital for at least two years, it took me quite a while to form my social circles and develop friendships with locals that I can now call very good friends.
Those first two years in Argentina were tough.
When you’re in a foreign land, it may be emotionally difficult not to have any close friends to hang out with or simply call on the phone for a quick chat.
When Juan and I eventually re-located to Washington, DC a month ago, I was determined not to let so much time pass before settling into a group of friends.
To be honest though, I didn’t reach out much to many people in September, but now that it’s October, I’m feeling the need to meet up with people (new friends and old alike).
I’m also missing my friends and family both in Singapore and Buenos Aires.
A friend once mentioned that the way a place makes you feel depends largely on the bonds you form when you’re there, and it’s true.
Buenos Aires has become a second home largely because of the friendships that I’ve come to treasure and love so much, and Singapore will always be home because the people I grew up with live there.
Now that we’re here in Washington, I’m determined to build friendships and foster bonds with friends that may cross my path. I’ve got a few people I’m planning to meet, and am soo pumped up about that!
For now, I’ll leave you with a simple but deliciously satisfying meal – colorful stuffed bell peppers.
Imagine this – a mixture of quinoa, minced beef, diced carrots and heirloom tomatoes stuffed into warm bell pepper shells. This is a vibrant dish that’s both filling and bursting with taste and flavor at the same time. It’s happy and colorful and bright, just like life should be!
Eat up, and go live life to the fullest!
A mixture of quinoa, minced beef, carrots and heirloom tomatoes stuffed into warm bell pepper shells. A colorful, vibrant dish that’s filling and full of taste at the same time.
- 4 bell peppers (in the colors you like), stemmed and seeds removed
- 1/2 pound of minced beef (or chicken, pork or turkey)
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa (or rice if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh torn parsley leaves, for garnishing
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. Fahrenheit (175 deg. Celsius)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- While quinoa is cooking, heat up a little oil in a pan and saute diced carrots until soft, then add in the minced meat and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Once meat is cooked, remove pan from heat.
- Mix cooked quinoa with minced meat, carrots and heirloom tomatoes
- Divide filling mixture between the four bell peppers
- Place stuffed bell peppers on a baking tray, cavity side up
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until bell peppers are soft and tender.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of torn parsley leaves
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Gluten-free