Making your own homemade gluten-free bread crumbs cannot get any easier (and cheaper)! This basic breadcrumbs recipe is flexible and can be seasoned for different flavor options. You won’t go back to storebought bread crumbs after this! Dairy-free and vegan too.
- I Love Anything Homemade
- Our Favorite Homemade Basic Recipes:
- Make Your Own Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs
- Why This Recipe Works:
- Ingredients You’ll Need + Recipe Notes
- How to Make Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs (Step by Step):
- Gluten-Free Yeast Breads (Perfect for Making Bread Crumbs)
- Dish by Dish Tips/Tricks
- Recipe FAQs:
- How to Use Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs:
- Other Gluten-Free Basics You’ll Love:
- Easy Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs (Dairy-Free, Vegan)
I Love Anything Homemade
There’s just something immensely satisfying about making things from scratch.
I guess it fulfils the need in me to feel self-sufficient, and over the years, I’ve come to enjoy making homemade versions of foods or ingredients that we usually find on store shelves.
Our Favorite Homemade Basic Recipes:
- Homemade Croutons (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Applesauce (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Almond Meal (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Cashew Flour (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Buckwheat Flour (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Almond Milk (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Homemade Cashew Milk (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Make Your Own Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs
And of course, since I love making homemade bread so much, I also had to make my own homemade bread crumbs too.
Bread crumbs are a pantry staple, because you can use them in your favorite foods (such as the breading for chicken cutlets, or sprinkle them as a crispy topping for green bean casserole, etc.)
While you can of course buy store-bought bread crumbs, traditional breadcrumbs usually use wheat flours and hence are not gluten-free, and those that are gluten-free tend to be quite expensive.
That’s where this gluten-free bread crumb substitute comes in handy! Plus, making bread crumbs is a great way to use up stale bread.
Why This Recipe Works:
- Just One Ingredient: For this basic homemade gluten-free bread crumbs recipe, all you need is just a loaf of gluten-free bread. YUP, that’s it! (You can either use homemade bread, or get a loaf from the grocery store.)
- Super Easy to Make: All you need for these gf bread crumbs recipe is just 5 minutes of hands-on time, and let the oven do the rest of the work!
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Vegan: This homemade breadcrumbs recipe is 100% gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan (if you use a vegan loaf), that means that even those with Celiac disease, and gluten or lactose intolerances, or on special diets can enjoy it without worries!
Ingredients You’ll Need + Recipe Notes
Gluten-Free Bread: For this easy recipe, you can either buy storebought gluten-free bread, or bake a loaf of our favorite gluten-free white bread. For best results, I recommend using a loaf with an airy crumb.
If you want to get vegan breadcrumbs, make sure to use a vegan bread loaf.
How to Make Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs (Step by Step):
Preheat the oven to 300F (150C) and arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
2. Remove Crust and Cut into Cubes
Cut off the ends of the loaf and the crust from the gluten-free bread loaf, and slice the loaf into even slices, before cutting into small cubes.
4. Toast Until Golden Brown
Toast the gluten-free bread cubes for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are a golden color and have a crispy texture.
Let the toasted bread cubes fully cool at room temperature for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Process into Crumbs
Process the bread cubes until you get crumbs.
(TIP: How long you process them will depend on how you like the texture of your breadcrumbs. 30 seconds for coarser bread crumbs, 1 minute for finer crumbs, and even longer for super tiny crumbs.)
8. Use or Store
Use the gluten-free bread crumbs immediately, or store for future use.
Dish by Dish Tips/Tricks
- Use Stale Bread: Using day-old bread or leftover bread is best, so that the bread is not too moist when you cut into it. This is the perfect use for leftover gluten-free bread so the loaf doesn’t go to waste!
- Optional Seasonings: Since this is a basic recipe for plain bread crumbs, I did not use any seasonings. However, once the breadcrumbs are processed, feel free add seasonings to make flavored bread crumbs such as Italian bread crumbs. You can mix in a teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning or my favorite combination (minced dried garlic with dried parsley and a pinch of salt).
- Size and Texture of Breadcrumbs: For larger and coarser crumbs (similar to gluten-free panko breadcrumbs), process the toasted bread cubes for 30 seconds. For normal fine crumbs, process for 1 minutes. For superfine crumbs, process a little longer until it reaches the texture you like.
- No Blender/Food Processor? If you don’t own a high-speed blender or food processor, no worries. Simply place the toasted and cooled bread cubes in a ziplock bag and then use a rolling pin to roll over the bread cubes until they are broken into crumbs.
How to Use Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs:
Here are our favorite recipes that you can make using these crunchy bread crumbs.
- Zucchini Fries (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Chicken Fingers (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Sprinkle on Air Fryer Green Beans (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Breaded Pork Chops
- Breaded Chicken Cutlets
Other Gluten-Free Basics You’ll Love:
P.S. If you try this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a star rating below, and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. I always appreciate your feedback. Be sure to check out my entire Recipe Index for all the recipes on the blog. You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram! Sign up for my Email List to get fresh recipes in your inbox each week!Print
- 1 loaf gluten-free bread (or 5 cups of bread cubes)
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 300F (150C) and arrange the oven rack to the middle position.
- Remove Crust and Cut into Cubes: Cut away to crust from the gluten-free bread loaf, and slice the loaf into even slices, before cutting into small cubes.
- Place on Baking Sheet: Place the gluten-free bread cubes on a large baking sheet and toast them for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Cool: Let the toasted bread cubes fully cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to Blender/Processor: Transfer 1 cup of the cooled bread cubes to the bowl of a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Process into Crumbs: Process the bread cubes until you get crumbs. (How long you process them will depend on how you like the texture of your breadcrumbs. 30 seconds for coarser breadcrumbs, 1 minute for finer crumbs, and even longer for super fine crumbs.)
- Use or Store: Use breadcrumbs immediately, or store for future use (place the gluten-free breadcrumbs in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months).
Optional Seasonings: Since this is a basic breadcrumbs recipe, I did not use any seasonings. However, once the breadcrumbs are processed, feel free to mix in garlic powder, onion powder, or my favorite combination (minced dried garlic with dried parsley and a pinch of salt).
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cooling Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Basics
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: gluten-free breadcrumbs